Though you should always be wearing a helmet and staying attentive while you ride, staying safe also entails knowing the rules where you are.
Need Legal Help Now?
Bicycling, as both a mode of transportation and of recreation, is on the rise across the country. But with this growing popularity comes a growing number of injuries and deaths due to bicycle accidents.
Recent data that illustrates the danger includes:
- In 2012, 726 people died in bicycle crashes with motor vehicles nationwide; 49,000 were injured.
- The total cost of bicycle crash injuries and deaths totals approximately $4 billion per year.
- Bicyclist injuries between 2001 and 2011 increased by 8.9%.
Statistics on the age, gender, and location of bicycle crashes are enlightening as well:
- In 2012 the average age of bicyclists killed in accident with vehicles was 43 years old.
- 88% of people killed in bicycle crashes were male.
- 69% of fatal bike crashes occurred in urban areas; 30% occurred between 4-8 p.m.
- 24% of bicyclists killed in crashes had Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .08 g/dL or higher.
When a bicycle crash results in injury, the data illustrates clearly that collisions with vehicles is the greatest danger to bicyclists:
- In 2012, nearly one third of injury bicycle crashes happen in a collision with a motor vehicle;
- 17% of injuries occurred when the bicyclist fell;
- 13% happened in a bike crash caused by uneven or unrepaired roadways;
- 13% were due to rider error or inattention.
Loss of earning capacity is another category of compensation that your personal injury attorney will consider. It is a form of harm that you may have suffered from your bicycle accident.
Bill Coats Law helps Bellingham bike accident victims recover lost wages and pain and suffering damages
Here's how these costs are calculated by a personal injury lawyer to help victims financially recover from their bike accident.
There are too many personal injury accidents between bikes and cars in Bellingham and beyond. Knowing and following the rules of the road before you get out on your bike is critical.
As Bellingham's days stretch longer towards summer, more bicyclists will be out on the roads. This increases the risk of a car and bike collision.
A favorable police report is always preferred, of course, but I wasn’t about to give up the fight because a police report was inaccurate.
Bicyclists share the road safely with vehicles and also have their own trails to get to recreational rides as well as work. However, when a car and a bicycle get into a crash, the cyclist is much more likely to incur serious injury or death than the driver.
There are also more cars and distracted drivers out as well, which can mean more car accidents. To protect your children from a bike and car accident in Anacortes, here are a few tips:
While bicyclists have the same rights as drivers in the state of Texas, they also have the same responsibilities. Whether you are enjoying a leisurely ride or your are commuting to and from work in rush hour, knowing the rules is necessary to stay safe on the road.
- Page 1
- next ›