A bicyclist is dead in the Tucson area is dead after being struck by a train. According to authorities, at approximately 2 AM, 20-year-old Jorge A. Villalobos was riding a mountain bike northbound on a railroad bridge across the Rillito Wash.
Bicycling, as both a mode of transportation and of recreation, is on the rise across the country. But with this growing popularity comes a growing number of injuries and deaths due to bicycle accidents.
Recent data that illustrates the danger includes:
- In 2012, 726 people died in bicycle crashes with motor vehicles nationwide; 49,000 were injured. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812018.pdf
- The total cost of bicycle crash injuries and deaths totals approximately $4 billion per year. http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/faq_details.cfm?id=42
- Bicyclist injuries between 2001 and 2011 increased by 8.9%.
Statistics on the age, gender, and location of bicycle crashes are enlightening as well:
- In 2012 the average age of bicyclists killed in accident with vehicles was 43 years old.
- 88% of people killed in bicycle crashes were male.
- 69% of fatal bike crashes occurred in urban areas; 30% occurred between 4-8 p.m.
- 24% of bicyclists killed in crashes had Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .08 g/dL or higher.
When a bicycle crash results in injury, the data illustrates clearly that collisions with vehicles is the greatest danger to bicyclists:
- In 2012, nearly one third of injury bicycle crashes happen in a collision with a motor vehicle;
- 17% of injuries occurred when the bicyclist fell;
- 13% happened in a bike crash caused by uneven or unrepaired roadways;
- 13% were due to rider error or inattention.
When someone is injured or killed in a bicycle crash, very often there is a dispute over the cause and circumstances around the collision. It is crucial to gather as much evidence from the crash scene and witnesses, to ensure that an accident claim will be successful to help the injured person recover both physically and financially from the costs of medical bills and missed work. When a crash is fatal, this information is equally important for a wrongful death claim.
Accident Reports Related to Bicycle Accident
An unidentified vehicle drove onto the shoulder of U.S. 1 north of St. Augustine near Stokes Landing Road and struck bicyclist Benjamin Robert Kausch, 45 of St. Augustine about 10:35 p.m. Friday, resulting in his death. The vehicle immediately fled the scene.
One person has been injured following a crash between a sedan and a bicycle at Indiana Street and Whittier Boulevard Monday afternoon in Los Angeles, California. The victim's condition is currently unknown.
A male bicyclist in his 50's was injured in accident on South Volusia Avenue in front of a Wendy's restaurant in Orange City, FL after being hit by a car, driven by a woman in her 70's, when he tried to cross the street.
William Mack, 81, dies after being hit by car while riding his bicycle on Boston Post Road in Guilford, Connecticut. Mack was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital but passed the following day. No charges have been filed to date.
Smith was killed when a Tri-Rail train hit him Monday afternoon near Dania Beach. Apparently the warning lights and gates for a railroad crossing activated, but Smith ignored them and attempted to beat the train.
Blake Carter, 3, killed after being struck by a vehicle when he attempted to cross at Clay County Road and College Drive in Jacksonville, FL.
Lee County deputy was found at fault in an accident that killed Austin Dukette, 15. Deputy Douglas E. Hood was cited for careless driving following a two-month investigation.
Columbus Police say a bicyclist has died after a crash involving a COTA bus late Friday night. It happened around 7:00 p.m. in the southbound lanes of Indianola Avenue between Blenheim Road and Northridge Road. Investigators say the COTA bus was pulled over at a marked bus stop.
Tyler McDaniel was injured Friday morning after a hit-and-run collision on his bicycle in Southside Denver, Colorado. The incident occured around 7:35 a.m. at the intersection of Raymond Street and Shelby Street on October 17, 2014. The bicyclist is reported to be in stable condition.
Swedish model Anna Maria Mostron, 29, hospitalized with brain trauma after being struck by bus while riding a bicycle on Main Street of Roosevelt Island near Manhattan, NY. The Red Bus Service bus was trying to make a turn and hit her, throwing her from the bike.