Need Legal Help Now?
Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Tampa is a popular tourist destination and a great place to ride a motorcycle, but safety is an issue
Get information on motorcycle crashes from the Tampa Police Department
The Tampa Police Department or Sherrif's Office offer information on traffic and accidents. Both resources are valuable for locals and visitors alike when seeking assistance after a car crash. The Sherrif's Office also offers a real-time map showing recent traffic accidents. There are also many crash statistics available from Ride Smart Florida, as well as multiple safety tips and resouces.
The statistics on motorcycle crashes and fatalities are sobering
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2012, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number in cars. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13% of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2013.
Common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Vehicles turning left: Statistically, the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all crashes between motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: The vast majority of motorcycle crashes with cars occur when they collide head-on. These head-on crashes result in a higher fatality rate than other types of crashes.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting refers to when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of cars, usually in heavy traffic when car movement is slowed or stopped.
- Speeding and alcohol impairment: Statistically, approximately half of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes have speeding and alcohol use as factors.
- Crashes between motorcycles and stationary objects: Motorcyclists crashing with fixed objects result in 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: Hazards such as potholes, icy conditions, uneven lanes, and debris in the road pose significant danger to motorcyclists.
When someone is injured in a Tampa motorcycle accident, what needs to happen next?
In an injury accident, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include:
When an accident is serious or fatal, it is important to find a Tampa motorcycle crash attorney
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to find an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and can be hard to manage without legal help. Having a personal injury lawyer on board is a great relief to injured people, or to the family left behind when an accident proves fatal. Since most personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency basis, meaning that there are no up-front costs and all fees are paid when the claim is settled, there is no downside to speaking with a Tampa motorcycle accident lawyer right away, to get help for an injured motorcyclist.
Motorcycle Accident Reports and News from the Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL Area
- Page 1
- next ›