Need Legal Help Now?
Alton Banks, 10, dies after contact with fentanyl in Miami, Florida
The State Attorney's Office said the child was at a neighborhood pool then later that day became seriously ill and died.
Investigators say they aren't sure where the boy came into contact with the drug but do not believe it was at his home.
The death comes against the backdrop of a staggering opioid crisis that has wreaked havoc across the country, with hundreds of South Florida drug users fatally overdosing in recent years. But illegal fentanyl and some of its synthetic cousins can be so powerful that just a speck, breathed in or absorbed through the skin, can fatally affect an unwitting victim.