Need Legal Help Now?
The Best On-The-Road Fire Extinguishers for Cars and Trucks
One of the most frequent collision scenarios we see here at Accident Data Center is a fiery crash. Crashing is scary enough on its own, but adding fire to the mix is truly terrifying. We also see many Good Samaritans risking at least some burns -- and at most their lives -- in their efforts to save a complete stranger from a burning vehicle.
In so many of these situations, the difference between life and death could be the presence of the most basic fire safety tool -- the fire extinguisher.
Fire extinguishers come in classes rated for different purposes, so you’ll want one either a multi-purpose fire extinguisher or one that’s specific for automotive needs (which would be rated specifically for chemical and electrical fires. It’s also good to find one that can withstand storage at high temperatures, so for this purpose, one made especially for storing inside of a car is your best bet, especially if you live in a warm climate. If this is less of a concern, you might prefer the flexibility of a multi-purpose fire extinguisher. This way, you’ll always know exactly where one is for any reason, no matter where you drive to.
According to the manufacturer’s website, the Kidde Automobile Fire Extinguisher is suitable for use on automobile fires. Features a preferred compact design. Contains 2 lb. of extinguishing agent. Made of lightweight aluminum. Fire extinguisher has a rust-resistant and impact-resistant nylon handle. Designed for single use. U.L. Rated 5-B:C.
- Compact aluminum cylinder.
- Sodium bicarbonate, dry-chemical suppression.
- Pressure gauge.
- Corrosion- and impact resistant valve and trigger.
- Easy-pull safety pin
From the Amazon product description, the Kidde Multi Purpose Fire Extinguisher has the following features:
- Multipurpose Dry Chemical, Monoammonium Phosphate.
- Easy-to-read gauge tells you fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use.
- Supplied with Retention Strap Bracket.
- Coast Guard (U.S.C.G) approved when fitted with supplied mounting bracket.
- UL Listed, UL Rated 1-A,10-B:C, U.S.C.G, DOT approved.
While the Kidde extinguishers we’ve found include a velcro mounting strap, this seems flimsy and difficult to position, so you might consider purchasing a separate bracket system for your fire extinguisher. We like this product because it’s extra secure -- imagine the damage a loose fire extinguisher could do while flying around the inside of a car during a rollover.
The Bracketeer Car Fire Extinguisher Bracket features:
- Adjustable-width design that either clamps onto front or rear of seat rails or bolts on to seat mount points to fit a wide variety of vehicles.
- Perfect for Modified, Track Day, Performance and Exotic Cars, Family Vehicles, Delivery Vans, Pickups, SUVs, 4x4s, Mini Buses and Commercial Vehicles.
- Easy installation in around 15 minutes without drilling holes that places extinguisher out of the way, but within easy reach.
- 1" x 1/8" high grade 50 steel construction with durable powder coated finish and supplied with stainless steel Allen head bolts and nyloc nuts.
Finally, there are simple aerosol spray bottles on the market that boast about their compact design, forceful fire extinguishing power, easy cleanup, and biodegradable materials. The First Alert AF400 Tundra Fire Extinguisher Aerosol Spray is an inexpensive, lightweight alternative to a traditional fire extinguisher that you can take anywhere.
Hopefully you'll never need any of these products, but if you ever do, you'll be thankful to have them.