Need Legal Help Now?

Page 1 of 3

Woman bitten 3 times by copperhead snake at Virginia restaurant

File under: Nope. See also: Why I Can Never Live in the South. 

When she felt a sharp pain on her foot after walking into a Spotsylvania County LongHorn Steakhouse, Rachel Myrick assumed she'd been stung by a bee and tried to brush it off. But soon, as she told the The Free Lance-Star, the pain turned excrutiating. 

“I had my fingers under my foot and that’s when I felt something moving,” said Myrick, who realized been bitten twice on her toes and once on the side of her foot by a roughly 8-inch-long baby copperhead snake. Somehow the reptile had managed to get inside the restaurant's foyer and apparently didn't like the looks of the real estate agent's sandal-clad feet. 

After the snake was killed and medics arrived, Myrick was brought to the hospital for observation. She wound up having antivenin administered after swelling became severe, reaching as far as her hip. She was also given morphine and benadryl for pain, and is expected to recover over the next three months.

Her family's meals were comped by LongHorn Steakhouse, which feels...somehow inadquate, but a nice gesture nonetheless. 


Well, maybe if she had been wearing SHOES she wouldn't have been bitten on the toes and side of the foot. Most places have "no shirt/no shoes" signs but they allow flip flops and sandals.  To me, it's the same, especially when they can't wash their feet at some point in the month.  Or have we time traveled back to the barefoot 60s?  Maybe we're too poor to afford shoes now?  When I was in high school, they wouldn't let us wear flip flops, saying they were too dangerous. Now, flip flops seem to be the only "shoe" that people want and even men are wearing them.  

My guess is she also had a cell phone glued to her ear and wasn't paying attention to where she was walking, either.

Michael, maybe you should read the article more carefully before you give such an opinion.  The article clearly states she was wearing sandals.

Your opinion really doesn't matter. Sandals and flip flops are shoes!! Just because you have ugly feet doesn't give you the right to pass your personal useless opinion onto the rest of society. I would guess you are a liberal. She was sitting and not walking so she was probably paying attention to her food and family!! Why can't it be people like you that suffer? Karma needs to move faster!!! The sixties? Oh, those who think today is so much better know little!  I pray she heals quickly and can enjoy some fun in the sun in the wonderful south!!!

Nice job blaming the victim, Michael


 I can't even begin to respond to this idiots comment about flip-flops. what if she went down to scratch her leg in the snake better on the hand? should she have walked in like the tin man? is this guy an idiot ? Wow!  I can't imagine the pain this poor lady had to endure .  I God  I hope she has a fast recovery and I hope that the restaurant does more than comp a meal .  It's your establishment. you're responsible for what goes on in there . 

First off there should not be any reptiles inb any establishment. Michael must be the manager who don't care about his customers and their injuries. Michael get a life and start feeling what that customer feels. 

Lighten up people. Why must there always be blame placed?  Wild critters can get into just about anyplace.  Just be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. 


Add new comment

To prevent automated s-p-a-m submissions leave this field empty.