One person struck and killed by a BART commuter train on the Fremont line near Hayward in Alameda County.

Modified Date: 
Wed, 09/24/2014 - 11:24am
Accident Date: 
Tuesday, March 4, 2014

BART restores service after death on the tracks.

BART service was stopped along the Fremont line this morning for several hours after a man was hit and killed by a train overnight.

BART service was stopped along the Fremont line this morning for several hours after a man was hit and killed by a train overnight.

The man who was killed was on a section of track that is not accessible to the public, but they have found a hole in the fence near it.

Even the station agent at the South Hayward BART station was surprised by the news this morning - she quickly made some signs that would soon surprise her passengers - announcing no train service south of Hayward. Her customers were not happy.

It's going to be a really bad commute for me now; I have to go to Berkeley for work," said a Hayward resident.

BART trains south of Hayward did not run this morning because someone was killed on the tracks last night. Investigators wanted to wait till the morning light to make sure they got all of their evidence before they let trains through here.

"It was obviously a long shutdown and it inconvenienced about 7,500 people. It's not something we want to happen, but where there is something of this nature it takes time to investigate," said BART Spokesperson Jim Allison.

A station agent at the South Hayward did her best to greet people before they even got out of the car, which meant she did a lot of running. Even though she tried to keep people moving and informed-the lack of trains frustrated many.

"Sometimes it is on strike and it is driving us crazy," said a Hayward resident.

Much of the burden then fell to AC Transit; a large line of people that had to get off BART in Hayward, but still needed a ride further south. They didn't have enough workers to create a bus bridge - so existing bus lines had to do.

"I like to be at work on time, but sometimes happens on public transportation," said a San Lorenzo resident.

Police are still trying to figure out how someone got onto the tracks and why.

"So far it looks like what they term as an 'unattended death' meaning no direct witnesses saw what happened," said Allison.

Service was restored just before 8 a.m. At this point investigators are still trying to determine who the man is, but they don't suspect any suspicious behavior.

People Involved: 
Fremont Line

Add new comment

To prevent automated s-p-a-m submissions leave this field empty.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.