What to do after an accident
After a serious accident, it is hard to know what you should do
No one expects to get in an accident, and so when it happens, the experience is always shocking. Even a minor collision is stressful, and it is difficult to know what to do immediately after an accident, to protect the safety of those involved, and to protect the rights of the victims going forward.
When a crash occurs, people may be injured or in danger, and emotions run high. Try to remain calm, to avoid anger or confrontation with other drivers, and to assess the scene for safety issues.
The following are important things to do after an accident:
- Check on the condition of all people involved, and get medical attention for anyone with injuries. Do not move an injured or unconscious person until trained medical personnel arrive, unless there is an imminent danger present.
- Call the police if there is physical injury, death, or significant property damage. Request that a police report be filed, and get the names and badge numbers of the responding officers.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other drivers involved. If they had passengers, or if there were witnesses to the crash, try to get their contact information as well.
- Let your insurance company know you've been in an accident. Tell them the truth about what happened and the extent of your injuries. Your insurance company is on your side, and your adjuster is there to help you.
- Take photos of your vehicle damage and your injuries. They can help your insurance adjuster or personal injury lawyer prove the value of your claim.
- Be cautious of early settlement offers. Don’t settle a claim until you know the full extent of your injuries and required medical treatment, including future surgery. Consult a lawyer before signing any settlement document.
Why should you consider working with a personal injury attorney on your insurance claim?
You should consider finding an experienced injury lawyer who will help you throughout the entire claim process and will protect your rights. A lawyer has the knowledge and resources to oversee all phases of the case, from the initial gathering and organizing of information, to getting statements from witnesses and physicians, to the final negotiation of a full settlement to compensate you for your financial losses. Having an injury attorney on your side allows you to focus on healing and recovery.
Driver crashes into graveyard, destroyes several headstones, then flees scene in other vehicle on Bishop L.N. Forbes Lane in Wilson, North Carolina
El Paso, TX
No injuries reported after driver mistakes gas for brake, runs car into store on Resler Drive in El Paso, Texas
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC-Anderson, SC
Lance Cpl. D. Kugler and Trooper B. Stuhmer hurt, including one with critical injuries, when they are struck by driver that fled scene at Cedar Lane Road and Alama Street in Greenville, South Carolina
11-year-old hits multiple cars and other objects while fleeing from police in stolen car, eventually gets stuck near Midway, Georgia
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM
Police officer sent to hospital after unresponsive driver accelerates, pushing him into other vehicle and dragging him along road at Main Street and 2nd Street in Roswell, New Mexico
Police officer injured after getting pinned against tree, having leg ran over by car evading arrest on North Broadway Street in Joliet, Illinois
Officer hit by vehicle and injured just after traffic stop on Torresdale Avenue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mobile, AL-Pensacola, FL
Police officer investigating collision struck and injured by vehicle near Scenic Highway and Manolete Street in Pensacola, Florida
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, MI
Police Captain Collin Birnie pronounced dead following collision at Mt. Morris Road and Elms Road in Flint, Michigan
Champaign & Springfield-Decatur, IL
27-year-old police officer and 58-year-old man injured after their vehicles collide at Route 4 and Browning Road in Springfield, Illinois
Ft. Myers-Naples, FL
Male trooper injured after car attempts to flee traffic stop and strikes him on State Route 462 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Officer Christopher Farrar killed and officer Rico Aranda injured after car thief rams into them at car dealership in Gilbert, Arizona; Jonathan Altland, 25, charged with murder
Officer Christopher Farrar dead and and officer Rico Aranda in critical condition after alleged felon leads police on chase through Phoenix, Arizona
New York, NY
Officer Anastasios Tsakos, 43, killed after being struck by allegedly intoxicated hit-and-run driver while diverting traffic on the Long Island Expressway in Queens, New York
Julio Ramos-Rivera, 36, arrested after allegedly driving a vehicle with a missing tire for miles on Route 6, igniting it and two other cars he parked next to in Hyannis, Massachusetts
Police officer James Kouski Jr., 58, dies after being hit by vehicle while investigating other accident on Pulaski Road in Hometown, Illinois
Green Bay-Appleton, WI
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM
Woman crashes into utility pole, house near Asheford Trace and Murphywood Crossing in Nashville, Tennessee
- Page 1
- next ›