Las Vegas, NV Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Las Vegas motorcycle collisions are a serious safety risk for the many riders in the region
Motorcycle accidents are a common occurrence in Las Vegas and across Clark County, Nevada. Given the warm weather year round, Las Vegas is a popular motorcycling destination. Since there are so many bikes on the roads, the number of collisions is high. Because there is a large number of visitors to Vegas at any given time due to the tourism industry, many motorcycle crashes are caused by these drivers who don't know the roads well, have been drinking, or who are distracted by the sights. Whatever the cause, motorcycle accidents are a major safety and economic issue for riders in the Las Vegas region.
Get information here on motorcycle crashes and laws
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department offers information on traffic and accidents, and also provides information on filing a police report. The department is a good resource for local residents and visitors alike to get information and assistance after a motorcycle crash. Go to this link for information on Nevada motorcycle laws.
Las Vegas motorcycle crashes have common causes and devastating outcomes
While helmets and anti-lock brakes make motorcycling safer, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Maintaining control is more difficult on two wheels, and when collisions happen, motorcyclists are at greater risk of serious injury or death because they don't have an enclosed vehicle or safety belts for protection. Nevada does have a universal helmet law for motorcycle riders that was passed in 1972. Here is a link to a great video on Nevada Motorcycle Safety, produced by the Zero Fatalities program.
The statistics on motorcycle crashes and fatalities are sobering
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2012, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number in cars. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13% of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2013. According to the Nevada Department of Public Safety, there were 40 fatalities from motorcycle collisions in the state in 2011.
Common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Vehicles turning left: Statistically, the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all crashes between motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: The vast majority of motorcycle crashes with cars occur when they collide head-on. These head-on crashes result in a higher fatality rate than other types of crashes.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting refers to when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of cars, usually in heavy traffic when car movement is slowed or stopped.
- Speeding and alcohol impairment: Statistically, approximately half of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes have speeding and alcohol use as factors.
- Crashes between motorcycles and stationary objects: Motorcyclists crashing with fixed objects result in 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: Hazards such as potholes, icy conditions, uneven lanes, and debris in the road pose significant danger to motorcyclists.
When someone is injured in a Las Vegas motorcycle accident, what needs to happen next?
In an injury accident, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include:
- Centennial Hills Hospital;
- Desert Springs Hospital;
- Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center;
- Valley Hospital Medical Center;
- Summerlin Hospital Medical Center;
- University Medical Center.
As soon as possible, an injured person from out of town should contact their insurance company to find out how out-of-network treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since motorcycle insurance policies often have unique provisions, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When a Vegas motorcycle collision is serious or fatal, it is important to find a Las Vegas motorcycle crash attorney
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to find an experienced Las Vegas motorcycle accident attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and can be hard to manage without legal help. Having a personal injury lawyer on board is a great relief to injured people, or to the family left behind when an accident proves fatal. Since most personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency basis, meaning that there are no up-front costs and all fees are paid when the claim is settled, there is no downside to speaking with an injury attorney right away, to get help for an injured motorcyclist.
Motorcycle Accident Reports and News from the Las Vegas, NV Area
- Page 1
- next ›