Harrisonburg, VA Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
In Harrisonburg, pedestrian accidents and fatalities are on the rise
At one point or another, everyone is a pedestrian. As the expense of driving and insuring a vehicle rise, more and more people choose to walk to their destinations. As the number of pedestrians increases, so do the number of pedestrian accidents. To see where the Harrisonburg region ranks in terms of pedestrian collisions nationally, please go to this National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report.
Despite safety improvements, pedestrian accidents are common in Harrisonburg
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2012 nationally:
- 69% of pedestrians killed in 2012 were males;
- 73% pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas;
- 32% of all pedestrian fatalities occurred between 8:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.;
- 34% of pedestrians killed had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
Pedestrian Laws in Virginia
Both motorists and pedestrians can engage in behaviors that cause collisions. According to state pedestrian law as described by the State of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles -
- exercise due care to avoid a collision with a pedestrian at all times.
- yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- stop or slow down before passing another vehicle stopped in a travel lane until the driver has determined whether that vehicle has stopped for a pedestrian.
- in the presence of a school crossing guard, wait for all persons including the guard to completely clear the road before proceeding.
- use the sidewalk and the nearest crosswalk, pedestrian bridge or tunnel when possible.
- obey official traffic control devices.
- walk on the left side of the street facing traffic if no sidewalk is available.
- not cross an intersection diagonally unless the intersection is specifically designed for this.
Get information on pedestrian collisions from the Harrisonburg Police Department
The Harrisonburg Police Department offers information on accidents. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles provides information on traffic and safety laws.
These departments are a good resource to get information after a pedestrian accident.
Since pedestrian accidents involve a vehicle of some kind, learn more below about dealing with the aftermath of a pedestrian collision involving:
- Harrisonburg car accidents;
- Harrisonburg motorcycle accidents;
- Harrisonburg commercial truck accidents;
- Harrisonburg drunk driving accidents;
- Harrisonburg distracted driving accidents;
- Harrisonburg wrongful death claims;
- Harrisonburg spinal cord injuries;
- Harrisonburg soft tissue injuries;
- Harrisonburg head, brain, and concussion injuries;
- Harrisonburg fracture injuries.
Common causes of Harrisonburg pedestrian accidents include:
- a failure by drivers to check for pedestrians in crosswalks;
- drivers failing to stop at stop signs or lights;
- texting and other driver distractions;
- drivers choosing to make turns without paying attention to their surroundings;
- driving under the influence.
Personal injury lawyers offer a no-cost claim evaluation to help you.
Since there is no cost to speak with a lawyer, go here to learn more about how a Harrisonburg pedestrian accident attorney can help.
Pedestrian Accident Reports and News from the Harrisonburg, VA Area
Pedestrian Maylea Beasley, 18, and motorcyclist Jeremy Baugher, 28, killed in collision at South Main Street and South Avenue in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Pedestrian injured in collision with alleged DUI driver at East Wolfe Street and North Mason Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Woman injured when struck by her own vehicle in parking lot off of South Carlton Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Pedestrian injured in collision involving alleged hit-and-run driver Jacinto Perez Lopez at Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S. Main Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Pedestrian injured in collision involving commercial truck on South High Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Pedestrian injured and alleged hit-and-run driver Mashkhal Khalid Ibrahim arrested following collision on East Market in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Pedestrian Donald F. Seager, 55, killed in collision with car on S. Main Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Add new comment