Motorcycle crashes often result in more serious injuries and death than other types of accidents
Motorcycle accidents are not more frequent than other kinds of crashes but are significantly more likely to end in serious injuries and death for the motorcycle rider. According to statistics compiled by the federal government, motorcycle crashes resulted in 35 times more deaths than car crashes did.
One way to improve motorcycle safety and reduce accident rates is to be aware of the common causes of crashes, including:
- Vehicles turning left: Statistically, the most dangerous setting for a motorcyclist occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These types of collisions account for 42% of all crashes between motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: The vast majority of motorcycle crashes with cars occur when they collide head-on. These head-on crashes result in a higher fatality rate than other types of crashes.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting refers to when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of cars, typically in heavy traffic when car movement is slowed or stopped.
- Speeding and alcohol impairment: Statistically, approximately half of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes have speeding and alcohol use as factors.
- Crashes between motorcycles and stationary objects: Motorcyclists crashing with fixed objects result in 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: Hazards such as potholes, icy conditions, uneven lanes, and objects in the road pose significant danger to motorcyclists whose vehicles are smaller and less stable.
The nature of the motorcycle itself, as a smaller, lighter-weight, harder-to-see form of transportation traveling in a world of larger vehicles, means that motorcyclists need to exercise greater caution to avoid accidents and injuries. Awareness of the typical causes of collisions is a great place to start.
After a serious or fatal motorcycle crash, it is crucial to get help for the victim
After an accident, many things need to happen at once. The injured rider needs top-quality medical care, the police need to determine how the accident happened, and an injury attorney needs to launch an insurance claim, to help the motorcyclist and the family members recover financially after a motorcycle crash. If someone is killed in a collision, a wrongful death claim will begin the process of financial recovery for the family left behind.
Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR
Paul Newell, 51, killed in crash with truck during motorcycle escort on Walton Boulevard in Bentonville, Arkansas
Ft. Myers-Naples, FL
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM
One person killed and one injured in collision involving motorcycle and pedestrian on Monroe Street Northeast in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Craig McNulty, 59, dead after being struck by school vehicle while riding motorcycle on Taconic State Parkway in Taghkanic, New York
Monroe, LA-El Dorado, AR
Kenneth Daniel-Michael Brown, 32, dead after single-vehicle motorcycle crash on Roundtree Road in Concordia Parish, Louisiana
Fargo-Valley City, ND
Jake Krumm, 18, critically injured after motorycle crash with SUV on 40th Avenue and 66th Street South in Fargo, North Dakota
St. Louis, MO
Richard L. Lalk Jr., 41, critically injured after three-vehicle motorcycle vs. auto crash on Antire Road in Eureka, Missouri
Joshua Smith, 50, dead after single-vehicle motorycycle crash on Pride Parkway and Blackstone Court in Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Luray Ausherman, 89, killed in motorcycle crash with SUV on U.S. Route 219 and Rock Lodge Road in McHenry, Maryland
Pedestrian killed in collision following prior motorcycle crash on Interstate 25 in Thornton, Colorado
Medford-Klamath Falls, OR
Jacob Irison McNeil, 54, killed in single-vehicle motorcycle crash on Thompson Creek Road in Selma, Oregon
Fife city official Russ Blount killed in motorcycle crash on Orting Kapowsin Highway in Graham, Washington
Los Angeles, CA
Thomas David Porter Jr., 50, and Rebecca Hurst Carberry, 55, killed in motorcycle crash on North Chester Avenue and Bancroft Drive in Oildale, California
Erin Dodge, 54, dead after ejection from vehicle in motorcycle crash on U.S. Route 101 near Kamilche, Washington
Kalai Alohanamakana Lincoln, 21, killed in motorcycle crash on Kealakaa Street in North Kona, Hawaii
- Page 1
- next ›