Need Legal Help Now?
Buffalo, NY Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The Buffalo region is popular with bicyclists but experiences a growing number of injury accidents
According to Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, in 2012, 726 lost their lives in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes nationally, just under two people every day of the year in the U.S. The death rate from bicycle crashes is high due to the relative lack of protection bicyclists have in an impact with a motor vehicle.
Despite safety efforts, bicycle accidents are common in Buffalo
Buffalo traffic-safety laws are designed to allow bicyclists to share the road safely with motor vehicles in an increasingly crowded space.
According to the State of New York Department of Motor Vehicles:
- Are entitled to share the road with motor vehicles.
- Have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicle and motorcycle drivers.
- Must obey all traffic signals and stop signs.
- Are lawfully permitted to ride on certain sections of roadway in rural areas where there is no alternate route.
- Must ride in the same direction as other traffic, not against it.
Get information on bicycle crashes from the Buffalo Police Department
These departments are a good resource to get information after a bicycle crash.
Buffalo bicycle crashes have common causes and deadly outcomes
While helmets and proper reflective gear make bicycling safer, riding a bicycle is riskier than driving a car. Maintaining control is more difficult on two wheels, and when collisions happen, bicyclists are at greater risk of serious injury or death because they don't have an enclosed vehicle for protection.
Common causes of bicycle crashes include:
- Motorist turning across path of cyclist;
- Cyclist riding into the path of a motor vehicle;
- Cyclist turning right from a major road and from a minor road;
- Child cyclist playing or riding too fast.
When someone is injured in a Buffalo bicycle accident, what needs to happen next?
In an injury bike crash, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include:
- Mercy Hospital of Buffalo;
- Buffalo General Medical Center;
- Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since insurance policies often have unique provisions to deal with bicycle-accident injuries, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
Personal injury lawyers offer a no-cost claim evaluation to help you.
Since there is no cost to speak with a lawyer, it is a good idea to learn more about your potential claim. Accident Data Center can help you by connecting you with our network of experienced injury lawyers who can provide you with information about your rights and options. Learn more here about the value of a no-cost legal claim evaluation.
Bicycle Accident Reports and News from the Buffalo, NY Area
A 12-year-old boy who moved here two months ago from Bangladesh was killed on his bicycle at about 12:30 p.m. Monday at Cheektowaga’s busy Harlem Road-Walden Avenue intersection.