Harrisonburg, VA Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Harrisonburg motorcycle collisions are a serious safety risk for the many riders in the region
Motorcycle accidents are a common occurrence in Harrisonburg. The region is popular with motorcyclists, and with so many bikes on the roads, the number of collisions is high, and motorcycle accidents are a major safety and economic issue for riders in the Harrisonburg area.
Get information on motorcycle crashes from the Harrisonburg Police Department
The Harrisonburg Police Department offers information on accidents. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles provides information on traffic and safety laws.
These departments are a good resource to get information after a motorcycle crash.
Harrisonburg motorcycle crashes have common causes and devastating outcomes
While helmets and anti-lock brakes make motorcycling safer, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Maintaining control is more difficult on two wheels, and when collisions happen, motorcyclists are at greater risk of serious injury or death because they don't have an enclosed vehicle or safety belts for protection.
The statistics on motorcycle crashes and fatalities are sobering
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2012, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number in cars. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13% of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2013.
Typically motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle, and damage and injuries to the motorcycle driver tend to be more severe due to the light weight of the cycle compared to other vehicles. Learn more here about how motorcycle accidents relate to insurance claims regarding:
- Harrisonburg car accidents;
- Harrisonburg pedestrian accidents;
- Harrisonburg truck accidents;
- Harrisonburg bicycle accidents;
- Harrisonburg taxi and Uber/Lyft accidents;
- Harrisonburg bus accidents;
- Harrisonburg boating accidents;
- Harrisonburg train accidents;
- Harrisonburg plane accidents;
- Harrisonburg drunk driving accidents;
- Harrisonburg distracted driving accidents;
- Harrisonburg reckless driving accidents;
- Harrisonburg hit-and-run accidents;
- Harrisonburg uninsured/underinsured driver accidents;
- Harrisonburg head-on accidents;
- Harrisonburg partial fault accidents;
- Harrisonburg wrongful death claims;
- Harrisonburg spinal cord and neck injuries;
- Harrisonburg head, brain, and concussion injuries.
Common causes of Harrisonburg motorcycle crashes include:
- Vehicles turning left: Statistically, the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all crashes between motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: The vast majority of motorcycle crashes with cars occur when they collide head-on. These head-on crashes result in a higher fatality rate than other types of crashes.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting refers to when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of cars, usually in heavy traffic when car movement is slowed or stopped.
- Speeding and alcohol impairment: Statistically, approximately half of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes have speeding and alcohol use as factors.
- Crashes between motorcycles and stationary objects: Motorcyclists crashing with fixed objects result in 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: Hazards such as potholes, icy conditions, uneven lanes, and debris in the road pose significant danger to motorcyclists.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since motorcycle insurance policies often have unique provisions, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
Personal injury lawyers offer a no-cost claim evaluation to help you.
Since there is no cost to speak with a lawyer, go here to learn more about how a Harrisonburg motorcycle accident attorney can help.
Motorcycle Accident Reports and News from the Harrisonburg, VA Area
Bill Claytor Jr., 33, killed in motorcycle collision with postal vehicle on Parkersburg Turnpike in Augusta County, Virginia
Michael Odell Rexrode Jr., 26, killed in motorcycle wreck on North Valley Pike in Harrisonburg, Virginia
HARRISONBURG — A Timberville motorcyclist died at the scene of a crash on North Valley Pike Monday night, Virginia State Police say. Michael Odell Rexrode Jr., 26, was riding northbound near Fellowship Road when he struck the passenger side of a 2003 Ford Excursion at about 9:30 p.m., Sgt. F.L.
Add new comment