Need Legal Help Now?
Dothan, AL Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Dothan motorcycle collisions are a serious safety risk for the many riders in the region
Motorcycle accidents are a common occurrence in Dothan and across Houston County. Dothan is popular with motorcyclists, and with so many bikes on the roads, the number of collisions is high, and motorcycle accidents are a major safety and economic issue for riders in the Dothan region.
Get information here on Dothan motorcycle crashes and laws.
Get information on motorcycle crashes from the Police Departments in the Dothan region
Dothan motorcycle crashes have common causes and devastating outcomes
While helmets and anti-lock brakes make motorcycling safer, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Maintaining control is more difficult on two wheels, and when collisions happen, motorcyclists are at greater risk of serious injury or death because they don't have an enclosed vehicle or safety belts for protection.
The statistics on motorcycle crashes and fatalities are sobering
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2012, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number in cars. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13% of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2013.
Common causes of Dothan motorcycle crashes include:
- Vehicles turning left: Statistically, the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all crashes between motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: The vast majority of motorcycle crashes with cars occur when they collide head-on. These head-on crashes result in a higher fatality rate than other types of crashes.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting refers to when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of cars, usually in heavy traffic when car movement is slowed or stopped.
- Speeding and alcohol impairment: Statistically, approximately half of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes have speeding and alcohol use as factors.
- Crashes between motorcycles and stationary objects: Motorcyclists crashing with fixed objects result in 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: Hazards such as potholes, icy conditions, uneven lanes, and debris in the road pose significant danger to motorcyclists.
When someone is injured in a Dothan motorcycle accident, what needs to happen next?
In an injury accident, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost.
The major hospitals in the area include:
- Southeast Alabama Medical Center, the city's only public hospital.
- Flowers Hospital, a private hospital on the western side of Dothan.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since motorcycle insurance policies often have unique provisions, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When a motorcycle collision is serious or fatal, it is important to find a Dothan motorcycle crash attorney
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to find an experienced Dothan personal injury attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and difficult to manage. Having a good Dothan motorcycle accident lawyer on board is a great relief to injured people, or to the family left behind when an accident proves fatal.
Motorcycle Accident Reports and News from the Dothan, AL Area
A motorcyclist was riding on County Road 49 between Slocomb and Fadette at around 5
A two-vehicle crash Thursday claimed the life of a Hartford man, according to the Alabama Department of Public Safety.
Blake Simmons, 19, was killed when the 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle he was riding collided with a 2014 Chevrolet pickup.