Need Legal Help Now?
Abilene-Sweetwater, TX - Accident News and Resources including car, bicycle, motorcycle and truck accidents and much more.
Abilene Metropolitan Area
Abilene is the principal city of the Abilene Metropolitan Statistical Area, covering Taylor, Jones, and Callahan counties. The city was established in 1881 by cattlemen as a stock shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railway. These days, the area has an estimated population of around 165 thousand. Abilene is home to a mix of local college and university campuses including Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University, and Texas Tech University Abilene Campus, a well-established agricultural community, and numerous evangelical churches. The Abilene Regional Airport serves the area, though it is mostly used for general aviation and military training.
Sweetwater is received a U.S. post office in 1879. The Texas and Pacific Railway started service in 1881, beginning Sweetwater's long history as a railroad town, with businesses and homes built along the rail line. Rail passenger service was discontinued in 1969. Gulf Refinery operated there from 1929 to 1954, and at one time the town was a large telegraph center. Sweetwater remains a production hub for cotton, oil, and cattle. The population of Sweetwater has remained steady between 11,000 and 13,000 since 1940.
- Interstate 20 travels from Kent, Texas, to Florence, South Carolina, passing through Abilene and Dallas on the way.
- U.S. Route 83 / Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway is one of the longest north-south highways in the U.S., traveling between the Canadian and Mexican borders. In Texas it was dedicated as the Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway. Traveling down the middle of the state, it connects Abilene to many major U.S. cities.
- U.S. Route 84 begins in Brunswick, Georgia and travels all the way to southern Colorado. In Texas, it connects Abilene to Lubbock, Waco, and Palestine.
- U.S. Route 277 is a spur of U.S. 77 that runs 633 miles across Oklahoma and Texas.
- Texas State Highway 36 runs from Freeport to Abilene, providing access to cities on the Gulf Coast.
Major hospitals in Abilene and Sweetwater:
- Abilene Regional Medical Center;
- Hendrick Health System, Abilene;
- Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital in Sweetwater.
To learn about recent accidents in Abilene or Sweetwater, select the link below:
Where to find legal assistance after an Abilene or Sweetwater injury accident
After a serious crash, it is crucial to get help from an Abilene-Sweetwater personal injury attorney who understands the local regulations and legal standards, who knows how insurance policies work, and who can handle all aspects of an insurance claim so the injured person can focus on recovery. If someone is killed in a collision, an Abilene-Sweetwater wrongful death attorney will launch a claim that will begin the process of financial recovery for the family members left behind. Learn more here about what an Abilene-Sweetwater car accident lawyer can do to help.