San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
San Francisco is one of the nation's deadliest cities for pedestrian accidents
San Francisco is a walker's city. With its mild temperatures and moderate rainfall, it is often called the “air conditioned city.” Since walking is a primary way for millions to getting around San Francisco, it makes sense that the sheer numbers of pedestrians means a higher number of pedestrian accidents.
Despite safety improvements, pedestrian accidents are common in San Francisco and across the nation
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2012: 69% of pedestrians killed in 2012 were males; 73% pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas; 32% of all pedestrian fatalities occurred between 8:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.; 34% of pedestrians killed had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
Pedestrian Laws in California and San Francisco
Both motorists and pedestrians can engage in behaviors that cause collisions. According to state pedestrian law as described by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles-
- Respect the right-of-way of pedestrians. Always stop for any pedestrian crossing at corners or other crosswalks, even if the crosswalk is in the middle of the block, at corners with or without traffic lights, whether or not the crosswalks are marked by painted lines.
- Do not pass a vehicle that has stopped at a crosswalk. A pedestrian you cannot see may be crossing the street. Stop, then proceed when all pedestrians have crossed the street.
- Do not drive on a sidewalk, except to cross it to enter or exit a driveway or alley. When crossing, yield to all pedestrians.
- Do not stop in a crosswalk. You will place pedestrians in danger.
- Remember, if a pedestrian makes eye contact with you, he or she is ready to cross the street. Yield to the pedestrian.
- Allow older pedestrians, disabled pedestrians and pedestrians with young children sufficient time to cross the street.
Get information here on pedestrian accidents from San Francisco law enforcement
The San Francisco Metropolitan Police Department offers information on traffic and accidents, and also provides information on filing a police report, or obtaining a police report. The department is a good resource for local residents and visitors alike to get information and assistance after a pedestrian accident or injury.
Common causes of San Francisco pedestrian accidents include:
a failure by drivers to check for pedestrians in crosswalks; drivers failing to stop at stop signs or lights; texting and other driver distractions; drivers choosing to make turns without paying attention to their surroundings; speeding; driving under the influence.
When someone is injured in a San Francisco pedestrian accident, what needs to happen next?
When a pedestrian is injured, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include: SAN FRANCISCO
- California Pacific Medical Center
- Saint Francis Memorial Hospital
- San Francisco General Hospital
- St. Mary's Medical Center
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital
- Regional Medical Center of San Jose
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center
- O'Connor Hospital
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since insurance policies often have unique provisions to deal with pedestrian-accident injuries, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When a pedestrian accident results in a serious injury or a fatality, it is important to find a San Francisco pedestrian accident attorney
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to find an experienced San Francisco pedestrian accident attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and difficult to manage. Having a San Francisco personal injury lawyer on board is a great relief to injured people, or to the family left behind when an accident proves fatal.
Pedestrian Accident Reports and News from the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA Area
- Page 1
- next ›