Need Legal Help Now?
Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
In Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline, pedestrian accidents and fatalities are on the rise
At one point or another, everyone is a pedestrian. As the expense of driving and insuring a vehicle rise, more and more people choose to walk to their destinations. As the number of pedestrians increases, so do the number of pedestrian accidents. To see where the Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline regions rank in terms of pedestrian collisions nationally, please go to this National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report.
Despite safety improvements, pedestrian accidents are common in Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2012:
- 69% of pedestrians killed in 2012 were males;
- 73% pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas;
- 32% of all pedestrian fatalities occurred between 8:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.;
- 34% of pedestrians killed had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
Pedestrian Laws in Iowa and Illinois
Both motorists and pedestrians can engage in behaviors that cause collisions. To keep both pedestrians and drivers safe...
- exercise due care to avoid a collision with a pedestrian at all times.
- yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- stop or slow down before passing another vehicle stopped in a travel lane until the driver has determined whether that vehicle has stopped for a pedestrian.
- in the presence of a school crossing guard, wait for all persons including the guard to completely clear the road before proceeding.
- use the sidewalk and the nearest crosswalk, pedestrian bridge or tunnel when possible.
- obey official traffic control devices.
- walk on the left side of the street facing traffic if no sidewalk is available.
- not cross an intersection diagonally unless the intersection is specifically designed for this.
Get information on pedestrian collisions from the region's law enforcement agencies
These departments are a good resource to get information after a pedestrian accident.
Common causes of Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline pedestrian accidents include:
- a failure by drivers to check for pedestrians in crosswalks;
- drivers failing to stop at stop signs or lights;
- texting and other driver distractions;
- drivers choosing to make turns without paying attention to their surroundings;
- driving under the influence.
When someone is injured in a pedestrian collision in Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline, what needs to happen next?
When a pedestrian is injured, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include:
- Genesis Medical Center - Davenport;
- Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport;
- Trinity Rock Island Campus;
- Trinity Moline Campus.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since insurance policies often have unique provisions to deal with pedestrian-accident injuries, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When an accident results in a serious injury or a fatality, it is important to find an experienced Davenport - Rock Island - Moline pedestrian accident attorney
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to find an experienced Davenport - Rock Island - Moline pedestrian accident attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and can be hard to manage without legal help. Since personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency basis, meaning that there are no up-front costs and all fees are paid when the claim is settled, there is no downside to speaking with a Davenport - Rock Island - Moline personal injury lawyer right away, to get help for an injured pedestrian.
Pedestrian Accident Reports and News from the Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL Area
Brenda Gordon was crossing
Fannie Mae Brown was attempting to cross
An accident that killed a pedestrian and left the driver of an SUV hurt occured along East River Drive at Tremont after 7 a.m.